Tuesday, January 12, 2010

United Nations of Mendoza

Greetings from Mendoza, Argentina..wine capital extraordinaire.

Elise and I arrived yesterday after a 18 hour bus ride (it should have been 15, but buses in South America arrive cuando sea conviniente).

I can´t sing praises of Mendoza. It´s a small, nice city. Pretty easy going and the people are nice, but after one day I was pretty sure I´d seen it all and ready to move on. I think it might be a nice place to live or visit if you´re REALLY REALLY into vineyard tours, but I´ve seen all the vineyards I need to for quite some time.

The best part about where we stayed is the hostel. We had our own little gathering of the United Nations here last night...or at least the Organization of American States. At one point in a very noisy crowd on the patio, we were 2 Americans, 1 Scottsman, 2 Argentines and 2 Brasilians. I wish I could tell you that we all spoke at least one common language, but it wasn´t so. I ended up playing translator between English-Portuguese-Spanish and after an hour my brain was ready to explode. Relearning Portuguese is definitely a priority in the near future. It was really amazing, though. Being able to communicate (somewhat) proficiently in 3 languages at the same time. I was just lucky the Israelis and the German didn´t want to join...I dont know what we would have done then. haha

Well, I´ve got to go find some lunch and catch a bus!

We´re headed to a small town called Uspallata next. Staying for 2 nights and then on to Santiago!

Les escribo pronto!

No comments: